Biostatistics and Cancer Epidemiology Department
CANCER REGISTRY: (Paving the road to fight against cancer)
• The department compiles data from records of patients in different departments that manage cancer patients in NCI.
• Making abstracts of medical records by translating the medical terminology into standardized codes that record the patient's diagnosis, staging and management information.
• Preparation of annual statistical report involving classification of patients according to the main diagnosis, gender, age groups and residence.
• This report helps researchers in their articles in addition to provide necessary information for hospital administration and policy makers in planning management strategies of different types of cancer.
• NCI is one of the main partners in the National Cancer Registry Program of Egypt
MEDICAL ARCHIVING SYSTEM:
• It is one of the Main Department Objectives to deal with patient records which started with NCI establishment till now both manually and electronically.
• Employees of the department are concerned with keeping patients’ files arranged properly to facilitate retrieval to satisfy the needs of inpatient services and outpatient clinics.
• One of the main jobs of the department is ensuring maximum protection of patients’ privacy and confidentiality of their information
• Follow up of completeness of patient sheets (operative data and discharge summary) for better service of patient and researchers.
• Researchers can retrieve files they need for their work in a convenient way by providing proper time and place.
• Older files are now being electronically scanned and kept in a pdf format to be combined with the new computer information system to be available for inpatient and outpatient services.
RESEARCH: (The gateway for cure)
• Helping researchers through medical records management and cancer registry
• Management and evaluation of study protocols (Masters, MD and Research projects) and health status questionnaires, sample size, selection and analysis.
• Evaluation of research articles before publishing in NCI Journal for the epidemiologic and statistical aspects
• Teaching research methodology
• Epidemiological consultation: The department provides consultations concerning clinical study designs, sampling and randomization techniques in addition to sample size estimation.
• Statistical Consultation: The department provides researchers with necessary statistical consultations and analysis services including research projects.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
• The department provides MSc and MD degree in Cancer Epidemiology and Cancer prevention.
• Teaching biostatistics and cancer epidemiology to all MSc and Doctorate degree given by NCI, and different faculties of Cairo University in addition to other Universities in Egypt, e.g.:
1. Arab institute for continuing professional development
2. Laser Institute
3. Asuit University
4. Faculty of physiotherapy –Cairo University
5. Faculty of dental medicine –Cairo University
• Weekly scientific meeting and journal club for department members.
• Collaborate with other departments in their journal clubs to offer talks about scientific critical appraisal and how to interpret published results.
• The department shares in cancer prevention program through Health Education for better understanding of tumors and causes of occurrence, and dealing with the disease.
• This is accomplished through preparation and revision of educational materials as papers, booklets, videos or direct contact with patients and their relatives to allow for better response to treatment and increase patient compliance, prevent or minimize side effects of treatment
• The department is a member of the health education team of NCI.
• The department is a member of the council of Early Detection and Cancer Prevention Unit sharing by health education and experience in conducting prevention and screening programs to serve patients and the community
• Education about healthful lifestyle including nutrition, physical activity and smoking cessation.
• The department is a member of the nutrition support team in NCI which provides:
o Nutritional screening and assessment for cancer patients
o Nutritional counseling and creation of clinical treatment plans
o Evaluation of nutritional needs of patients and calculation of nutritional requirements
o Consolation with other health professionals on nutrition management for individual patients
o Educating patients about nutrition and healthy eating habits
o Educating other healthcare professionals about food and nutrition
• Conduct dietary and nutritional research
SHARING IN QUALITY ASSURANCE UNIT OF THE NCI:
• The quality unit is divided into 2 subunits:
1. Hospital services quality team: We share in internal auditing of other departments to achieve the best level of service quality introduced to our patients
2. Educational quality CIQAP (project): participating through the following committees
a) Questionnaire committee:
Different questionnaires would be constructed to achieve many administrative purposes.
The committee is also responsible for validating and agreeing up on different questionnaires held in NCI.
Review and assess the prepared questionnaire and make suggestion(s) as needed
The committee is responsible for analyzing data from different questionnaires to give final statements to policy maker
b) Faculty and staff members affairs committee:
All relevant data about faculty members are collected (e.g. scientific and academic achievement )
Address needs of faculty members to enhance their academic career
SHARING IN INFECTION CONTROL:
• The department shares in the infection control committee to prevent hospital acquired infection and minimize infection rate.
• Health education about infection control measures is an important job of the department as our patients are immune-compromised group vulnerable to hospital- and community acquired infections.
• Through sharing in Hospital services quality team, the department checks and revises infection control measures in different areas of the institute.
• Sharing in IRB in NCI
1. Reviews proposals to determine whether a conflict of interest for self, the investigator, or the institution is present and notifies IRB chair if one is apparent.
2. Reads proposals thoroughly and evaluates them within the context of the regulations.
3. Participates in the discussion of whether the proposal provides adequate protection for human research participants. This includes a judgment about whether the application has sufficient scientific merit for the involvement of human subjects.
4. Serves on committees for routine monitoring of approved protocols or monitoring for cause.
• Sharing in review board for animal rights ethics protections in Cairo University
Biostatistics and Epidemiology Course Outline
Biostatistics for All Doctorate Degrees
Epidemiology for All Doctorate Degrees
Research Method (How to Write a Scientific Original Article)
Administrative and Statistical Report for NCI, 2002 - 2010
NCI 9 Years Cancer Registery Data 2002-2010
Cancer Registry 2002-2003
Statistical Report for NCI, 2004
Cancer and Environment Talk on 18 Dec 05
Magnitude of the Problem Breast Cancer
Magnitude of the Problem Bladder Cancer
Magnitude of the Problem Colon Cancer
Magnitude of Liver Cancer in Egypt
Magnitude of the Problem Lung Cancer
Cancer in the Arab World UICC Mar24-05
Gynecologic Malignancies Arab World March 30-05
Statistical Report for NCI, 2001
Cancer World Wide
Cancer in USA Europe
Cancer in Egypt